Guidance during your Studies

During the course of your studies, you may have questions about how to handle certain challenging situations. To help students, there are a variety of counseling centers that are there to answer your questions and help you through difficult situations. The following section lists all the offices you can contact including more information.

Student Advisory Service

Basically, you can turn to the subject advisors with all questions concerning your physics studies. They will help you in all phases of your studies, whether you are only just applying or are already in your Bachelor's or Master's degree, in questions about the examination regulations, the study plan, electives, etc.. This applies to formal matters such as "When do I have to take which exam?" and also to individual questions, such as how to organize your studies. Even if you do not yet know whether you want to study physics or are thinking about changing subjects feel free to contact them. They may not always know the answer to every question, but can refer you to the right address in case of doubt. You can get in touch with them in different ways: Either write them an email or drop by in person. All further information can be found on their information page, which is linked here.

Link to the student advisory service:

Examination board

The examination board deals with questions regarding examination regulations. You can contact them if something in your studies is not going according to examination regulations. Reasons for this could be that you cannot meet a deadline for health reasons or because you have failed an exam. The examination board is also responsible for the recognition of exams taken in another course of study, at another university or abroad. Of course, you can also ask questions about these topics at the student advisory service. However, approvals or recognitions can only be issued by one of the professors listed below. The responsible professors for bachelor and master studies in physics can be found on the faculty website.

Link to the Bachelor's Examination Board:

Link to the Master's examination board:

Central Student Advisory Service

Administrative concerns like re-registration and tuition fees can be done online in the campus system. If you have questions regarding administrative matters such as re-registration, tuition fees, vacation semesters, etc., please contact the Central Student Advisory Service (ZSB). You can find all further information (such as opening hours and contact details) on the ZSB website:

DEI Representatives of the Physics Student Council

The DEI representatives of the physics student body are your contact persons if you are treated unfairly for reasons of sexism, racism or inclusion. You are welcome to send us an email to or come to the student council so that we can look for a solution together.

Studying with Child & Pregnancy during your Studies

Information pages:

Studying with Disabilities

Information pages:

Funding your studies

Legal advice

Both the Studierendenwerk and the AStA offer legal advice. You can find all further information on the corresponding pages:

Studying abroad

All important information about studying abroad or just a semester abroad can be found on our page about studying abroad:

Psychological Counseling

Psychotherapeutic Counseling Center (PBS) of the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe

The Psychotherapeutic Counseling Center (PBS) of the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe is the central point of contact for all problems, whether they are related to your studies or simply of a personal nature. With professional advice and support, help is given in all situations. You can find all further information on the website of the PBS:

Help in acute crises:


The Nightline has established itself as a listening telephone by students for students on all kinds of topics. During the lecture period every Tuesday and Thursday from 21:00 to 01:00.


Phone: +49 721 75406646